Spartanburg County Home Page
Home > Environmental Enforcement > General Information


Pet Tips

Spartanburg County Animal Control would like to take this opportunity to provide you with tips on being good pet owners.

Remember to always provide your pets with:
Adequate food and water.
Adequate shelter.
Adequate space in the primary enclosure for the particular type of animal depending upon its age, size and weight.
Veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering.
Humane care and treatment.

In Spartanburg County, dogs and cats also require a yearly rabies vaccine. Dogs must be on a leash or under control of their owners at all times when off their property. It is also illegal for animals to stray onto other people’s property without the property owner’s consent.

If you need any assistance with a pet, call Animal Control at (864) 596-3582

Lost and Found Animals

If you have lost a dog or cat in Spartanburg County or have found one running loose, there are several steps that should be taken for the safety of the animal as well as the public.

First, immediately complete a lost report on the Greenville County Animal Care website at Provide a description of the dog or cat and any information on it’s tag.

If your pet is lost it may have been taken to the Greenville County Animal Shelter. The shelter is located at 328 Furman Hall Road, Greenville SC.

Owner identified dogs and cats are kept for 5 days before they are put up for adoption or are euthanized.


Animal Abuse

Owners or keepers of pets are required to provide their animals with adequate water and food and proper shelter. It is also a violation to treat an animal in a inhumane manner.

Instances of abuse or cruelty should be immediately reported to the Spartanburg County SCEED

Leash Law

Spartanburg County requires all animals to be on a leash, or under restraint at all times, when off the owners property or under direct control and obedience to the commands of the owner or handler. They are not allowed on any ones property without the property owners consent.

Animals roaming free can get lost or seriously injured. They are also subject to being picked up by Animal Control officers or any person on whose property the stray pet is found and delivered to the Animal Shelter for impoundment.

Animal owners are liable for their pet’s actions. You can prevent your animal from being picked up by keeping it confined to your property, or on a leash and controlled, as required by law. Roaming animals may result in legal or financial problems for you.

Violation of Spartanburg County’s leash law can result in a fine of up to $200.00 plus court costs and cost for impounding the animal.

For more information, call Animal Control at
(864) 596-3582

Nuisance Animals and Wildlife

It is against the law in Spartanburg County for animals to become a public nuisance. This includes excessive barking, molesting passersby, chasing vehicles, attacking other domestic animals, damaging property and trespassing on private property.

If animal control officers do not witness these violations, they cannot act upon them. Citizens however can take some steps to remedy the problem.

First, talk to the owners of the animal. They may not realize the animal is creating a problem.

Second, if the first step is unsuccessful, contact Animal Control to file a nuisance complaint that will allow an animal control officer to contact the owners of the animal to discuss the problem and hopefully, correct the situation.

Third, if all else fails, you have the right to swear out a warrant at the local magistrate’s office and take the owner to court.

In addition, barking dogs bring almost daily complaints to the Spartanburg County SCEED particularly in the warm weather when windows are open. All barking dog complaints are investigated by SCEED Animal Control Officers. Owners of barking dogs may be in violation of the County’s Animal Control Ordinance, if your dog is barking please investigate the cause. To report a dog which barks loudly and excessively contact Animal Control. If you need additional information call Animal Control at (864) 596-3582.

Report all Wildlife complaints to the Department of Natural Resources at 1-800-922-5431

Rabies Vaccines and Tags

Rabies is a disease caused by a virus carried in animals infected with the disease. It is spread by the bite of infected animals. Wild animals such as squirrels, foxes, raccoons, bats, and rodents are the most common carriers. These animals, however, sometimes infect household pets and occasionally an unfortunate person.

To protect people and pets, all dogs and cats in Spartanburg County are required by law to be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian in accordance with the latest "Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control" authored by the National Association of State Public Health and published annually in the Journal of Veterinary Medical Association and approved by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. This, of course, is one of the best preventions against the disease. The law also states that rabies identification tags must be worn by dogs and cats at all times. To avoid the spread of rabies Spartanburg County has the right to impound stray pets without a proper rabies tag.

Reporting Animal Bites

If you are the victim of an animal bite or scratch, where the skin has been broken or if you own an animal which has bitten or scratched someone, you must contact the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control health department. DHEC is responsible for recording such incidents in Spartanburg County.

It is important to get a description of the animal that has bitten or scratched because it may need to be quarantined if it has not received a rabies vaccination.

Do not destroy the animal because it may also be needed to complete a rabies test.

All animal bites and scratches, regardless of whether from a household pet or wild animal must be reported because cases of rabies have been confirmed in Spartanburg County.

If the bite or scratch occurs during normal working hours call the health department at (864)596-3415 or Animal Control at (864) 596-3582.

After hours and on weekends call the health department’s emergency pager number.

Reporting Dead Animal

If you wish to report a dead animal on or along the roadway of any state maintained road in Spartanburg County you may call the South Carolina Department of Transportation at (864) 587-4725.

If there is a dead animal on County maintained road call County Roads and bridges Department at (864)595-5320.

If the dead animal is on personal property the owner is responsible for burial or proper disposal of the animal in a timely manner.

Other Reporting

To report overgrown properties, dilapidated or unsafe unsanitary structures, or derelict vehicles please call 596-3186.